Message from Board Chair and Executive Director
The Paso del Norte Charitable Foundation adopted a new underlying motto in 2017 - Passion, Purpose and Potential - to underscore our mission to inspire, build and support the giving spirit in our region. We have found that this spirit is alive and strong and are proud and honored to share some of our 2017 accomplishments that demonstrate the growing philanthropic spirit in our region:
- We welcomed the Ginger G. and L. Frederick Francis Foundation, which represents the largest gift the Charitable Foundation has received to date, and one of a growing list of designated and donor-advised funds the Charitable Foundation has received. Rick and Ginger Francis’ love for the community and generous nature inspired them to create the Francis Foundation within the Charitable Foundation to support nonprofit organizations in the region.
- We welcomed the Arthur and Patricia Boardman Fund, a charitable gift annuity established for the benefit of El Paso Pro-Musica Foundation, one of 39 agency funds under the Charitable Foundation’s umbrella. This legacy gift ensures the long-term sustainability of one of the most dynamic, accomplished and impactful arts organizations in the region.
- We partnered with 167 nonprofit organizations for the second El Paso Giving Day, a 24-hour on-line, vibrant social media-driven fundraising campaign that raised $204,967 for participating nonprofits from 1,734 donors, “prize” money from The Meadows Foundation, corporate employee matching gifts from companies like El Paso Electric, and generous underwriting support. We are pleased to report a 100% growth over the first year’s campaign and 40% of gifts coming from first-time donors.
- We worked with the Fundación Paso del Norte para la Salud y Bienestar to meet the Hunt Family Foundation Challenge Grant to grow philanthropy and charitable giving, awarding $600,000 for nonprofit organizations and programs in Ciudad Juárez.
- We hosted our first gala, Paso on the Ritz, led by an extraordinary committee of volunteers and featuring dueling pianos at a location disclosed just a few hours before the event began. It was a fun and unique way to share the message of our work and raise additional funds.
- We distributed more than $130,000 in scholarships and awards to 125 students through agency and scholarship funds including the EPISD Education Foundation, Bowie Food Truck Fund, Deby Lewis Foundation, Women’s Fund of El Paso and designated funds established by an anonymous donor in honor of El Paso-area teachers Genevieve Gonzalez, Ronnie Parks, Coach Lou Robustelli and Ann Yerby Memorial.
We are inspired by the passion for giving in our community, the purpose donors have in making charitable gifts, and the potential for our community when we put these gifts to work. We are thankful for the extraordinary giving spirit in our community and look forward to continued partnerships with individuals, corporations, foundations and nonprofit organizations to build upon this giving spirit for years to come.
To support the philanthropic goals of individuals,
corporations, foundations and nonprofit organizations to improve health, education,
economic development and quality of life in the Paso del Norte region.
We will serve, guide, convene, empower, and support people, projects and organizations.
We will be honest and ethical always setting a positive example.
We will recognize, value and engage different viewpoints, backgrounds and life experiences.
We will partner with community stakeholders in the spirit (recognition) that we accomplish more together.
We will strategically, efficiently, effectively and transparently manage the financial resources entrusted to our care.
We provide transparency and accountability when working with donors to meet their philanthropic goals as we grow our Health Funds, Donor-Advised Funds, and Agency Funds. The Charitable Foundation is committed to leveraging charitable giving, building the capacity of nonprofits in the region and developing binational cooperation.
Investing in Passion, Purpose, and Potential
The Paso del Norte Charitable Foundation (Charitable Foundation) is a public charity established in 2013 to support the philanthropic goals of individuals, corporations, foundations and nonprofit organizations to improve health, education, economic development and quality of life in the Paso del Norte region.
The Charitable Foundation envisions a stronger, more vibrant Paso del Norte region where its citizens can enjoy a higher quality of life. We do this by linking the philanthropic interests of generous donors to organizations engaged in addressing the needs of the region. We gratefully accept gifts and pledges of current assets as well as planned gifts through five different fund types. Donors may establish a named fund with gifts or pledges of $5,000 or more over a five-year period. Donors may designate their gift to the fund of their choice.
Agency-advised funds are established by nonprofits or unincorporated groups with a charitable purpose that want to simplify the process of receiving donations and/or require assistance with grant-making. Long-term funds are invested with the assets of the Paso del Norte Health Foundation, with interest and earnings apportioned monthly on a pro rata basis. The Charitable Foundation also provides administrative support and capacity building so that these organizations can thrive and grow their impact.
The Arthur & Patricia Boardman Pro-Musica Endowment Fund was established in 2017 to support the projects and programs of the El Paso Pro-Musica Foundation. This Endowment Fund was created via a special charitable annuity trust. The Charitable Foundation accepts this type of charitable gift on behalf of our agency partners ensuring that the donor leaves a lasting legacy while receiving an income tax deduction along with the promise of a fixed annuity payment.
"We love the support that the staff at the Charitable Foundation provides for us. Their friendliness, kindness, advice and support are invaluable to helping us with our work in the community."
Maria McCullough – Carambola Community Music School Fund
The Charitable Foundation is honored to partner with the following Agency Funds:
- Bowie Jardín & Mercado Fund
- Boys & Girls Clubs of El Paso Foundation
- Caldo Collective Fund
- Carambola Community Music Fund
- Colombianos Unidos of the Borderplex Fund
- El Jardín Birth & Family Center - NEW
- El Paso District Dental Society - NEW
- El Paso Giving Day
- El Paso High School Alumni Centennial
- El Paso Pro-Musica Foundation - NEW
- El Paso Immunization Coalition - NEW
- El Paso Veterans Health Fund
- EPISD Education Foundation
- FEMAP Foundation Fund
- Fundación Paso del Norte para la Salud y Bienestar
- ImprovISA Fund
- Last Thursdays El Paso - NEW
- Moms on Board Fund - NEW
- Murals at Ft. Bliss Fund
- Paradox Artists & Grants Workshop - NEW
- Paso del Norte OUT Fund
- Paso del Norte Trails LLC - NEW
- Sociedad Cultural de España - NEW
- Success Through Technology Education Foundation - NEW
- Sunrise Rotary Fund
- Texas Team Upper Rio Grande Region
- The Care Fund of the Rio Grande Cancer Foundation - NEW
- The Deby Lewis Foundation
- U.S.- Mexico Border Health Commission
- WE (Fill in the Blank)
- Western Technical College Fund - NEW
- Women’s Fund of El Paso
- Ysleta Historic District Committee Fund
Board Chair Steve Lauterbach receives a check from Randy Kuykendall
establishing the Western Technical College Fund.
Donor Advised Funds
A popular means for charitable giving allows donors to make tax-deductible contributions, receive an immediate tax benefit, and then recommend grants or direct distributions to support their choice of charitable organizations over time.
The Ginger G. and L. Frederick Francis Foundation was generously established in 2017 to support charitable endeavors which benefit the Paso del Norte region. The Charitable Foundation offers donor advised funds as a safe haven where donors can place their money while disbursing according to their own timetable and their giving recommendations. In many regards, having a donor advised fund is similar to having your own private foundation, and in fact, many large donors now choose donor advised funds over creating their own private foundations.
In 2017, the Charitable Foundation disbursed more than $114,100 in grants/distributions from donor advised funds.
- Sharon Butterworth Fund for Behavioral Health
- Myrna & Ray Deckert Charitable Fund
- Maureen Henry Scholarship Fund for Health Sciences
- Loaves & Fishes Fund
- The Hoy Family Fund
- Joy & Anthony Martinez Fund
- Yellen Family Fund
- The Suicide Prevention Education Coalition
- The Ginger G. & L. Frederick Francis Foundation - NEW
- The Rio Bravo Film Fund
Education funds are established to provide support as well as access to education for deserving students and educators in our region. Donors may establish funds to grant scholarships, spur teacher development, provide classroom or school district support and aid nonprofits engaged in educational programs.
In 2017, the Charitable Foundation was pleased to partner with more than seven different funds to distribute more than $130,000 in scholarships and awards to 125 students and 17 schools. Our newest scholarship funds were established in partnership with the El Paso and the Ysleta Independent School Districts creating four scholarships awarded to high school seniors pursuing a college degree. A $100,000 donation by an anonymous donor was used to create an endowment to fund these scholarships awarded annually in honor of four remarkable educators: Ann Yerby, Coach Lou Robustelli, Genevieve Gonzalez, and Ronnie Parks.
Donors may establish funds for education with gifts or pledges of $5,000 or more over a five-year period. We currently manage a variety of different scholarship and educational funds including:
- Bowie Jardin & Mercado Scholarship Fund
- Deby Lewis Foundation Scholarship Fund
- EPISD Education Foundation Funds
- EPISD Education Foundation Scholarship Funds
- EPISD Education Foundation Teacher Impact Grants
- Bryan Adams Scholarship
- Determined T-Bird Scholarship
- Irvin Alumni & Ex Association Scholarship Fund
- Lions Del Norte Fund
- Genevieve Gonzalez Scholarship Fund
- Ronnie Parks Fine Arts Scholarship Fund
- Coach Lou Robustelli Scholarship Fund
- Ann Yerby Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Women's Fund of El Paso Scholarship Fund
- Success Through Technology Education Foundation
These funds further the impact of the Paso del Norte Health Foundation as it promotes health and prevents disease in the region.
In 2017, the Charitable Foundation made its first grant distributions from our Health, Health Leadership, and Mental Health Funds. These grants went to support the “REALIZE Board” Leadership Program, an initiative that offers training to board members of nonprofit organizations. Mental Health grants went to support the Health Foundation’s “Think.Change” Initiative to reduce the stigma surrounding mental illness, while another grant was awarded to the El Paso Behavioral Health Consortium, which brings together executives from healthcare, government and nonprofit organizations to improve the local mental and behavioral health system. Here’s a list of Health Funds created since our inception:
- Robert & Gloria Ash Fund
- Cindy Foster Lyons & Guy N. Fields III Fund
- Allan & Amy Goldfarb Fund
- Woody & Gayle Hunt Fund
- Steve & Ann Lauterbach Fund
- Richard & Susan Moore Fund
- Carolyn Mora Fund
- Drs. Susana Navarro and Arturo Pacheco Fund
- Jim Phillips Fund
- Robert & Sandra Sanchez Almanzan Fund
- Bob & Jacqueline Skov Fund
- The Peter Cavanaugh Trust
- The Burney Warren Fund
- The Myrna & Ray Deckert Fund for Health Leadership
- The Bob and Rose Ann Hoy, Jr. Fund for Health Leadership
- Dr. Elizabeth Postlewaite Abbott Fund for Mental & Emotional Well-being
- Tyler Joseph (TJ) Holder Fund for Mental Health
The Charitable Foundation has the unique ability to work with Supporting Organizations to further their charitable purposes.
We are now pleased to be working with one supporting organization:
- FirstLight Community Foundation - NEW
Paso on the Ritz
In November 2017, the Charitable Foundation held its inaugural signature fundraising event, Paso on the Ritz. The evening was hosted by Lane Gaddy and Allison Glass Gaddy, and was designed to resemble a turn-of-the-century speakeasy. More than 200 people arrived at the secret location where entertainment included Grammy-nominated singer Amalia Mondragon and a pair of Dueling Pianos. The evening raised $74,000 for the programs and operations of the Charitable Foundation.
A sincere thanks to the evening’s major sponsors:
Lane Gaddy & Allison Glass, W. Silver Recycling
Hunt Companies LTD
Louie Salazar & Anna Alemán
El Paso Electric
Dr. Frank & Kate Feuille
Charles & Ann Horak
Lauterbach, Borschow & Co.
Enrique Mata Construction
Richard & Susan Moore
Kirk & Judy Robison
Tracy & Steve Yellen
Donors may make contributions in any amount in honor or memory of a friend or family member. These commemorative gifts support the Charitable Foundation’s general fund or are restricted to support a specific fund designated by the donor.
The following gifts were made in honor or in memory of family and friends in 2017:
In memory of George Abraham by Smiles Center for Kids
In honor of K. Anaya by Cassandra Nalley
In memory of Dr. Jose Angulo by El Paso Endodontics
In honor of Flo Buchmueller by Tracy Yellen
In memory of Joseph E.T. DDS by Guadalupe Ward
In memory of Tom Dula by Frieda Schwartz
In memory of Coach Arcadio Duran by Noel Castañeda
In memory of Berry H. Edwards by Chandra Edwards
In memory of Ann Holder by Kitty Schild
In memory of T.J. & Ann Holder by Vicky Maline
In memory of T.J. & Ann Holder by Billie Slaughter
In memory of Steve Hoy by Leonard Goodman
In memory of Irwin by Adrianne Moody
In memory of Deby Lewis by Mary Kirschenbaum
In memory of Peter Love by John Mckeeta Jr.
In memory of Selena Perez by Joel Peña
In honor of Monica Riehl by Stephen Tures
In memory of Emma Mora by Tracy Yellen
In memory of Emma Mora by Allan Goldfarb
In memory of Emma Mora by Paso del Norte Health Foundation Board of Directors
In memory of Miriam Goldfarb by Carolyn Mora
In memory of Miriam Goldfarb by Tracy Yellen
In memory of Miriam Goldfarb by Paso del Norte Health Foundation Board of Directors
In honor of Genevieve Gonzalez by Anonymous
In memory of Lou Robustelli by Anonymous
In memory of Ann Yerby by Anonymous
In honor of Ronnie Parks by Anonymous
As the Charitable Foundation celebrates four years of successful growth, we’re happy to share some of our accomplishments from this past year.
- We welcomed the Ginger G. and L. Frederick Francis Foundation with the largest gift the Charitable Foundation has received to date, one of a growing list of designated and donor-advised funds working to support a range of charitable causes in the region.
- We established 15 new agency partner funds with diverse organizations, projects and individuals.
- We now have 27 Health, Health Leadership and Mental Health Funds established in the Charitable Foundation.
- The second El Paso Giving Day raised $204,967 from 2,402 gifts, El Paso Electric’s employee donation match, and 1,734 individual donors supporting 167 nonprofits.
- We distributed more than $130,000 in scholarships and awards to 125 students through seven funds.
- We established our first charitable gift annuity, The Arthur & Patricia Boardman Pro Musica Endowment Fund.
- We facilitated the Bowie High School Jardin, Cocina y Mercado in the purchase of their OSO Good Food Truck.
- We distributed more than $25,000 classroom grants to 23 local schools through the EPISD Education Foundation.
- We helped the Fundación Paso del Norte para la Salud y Bienestar raise $400,000 for its Hunt Family Foundation Challenge Grant benefitting nonprofit organizations in Ciudad Juárez.
- We welcomed four new board members all of whom bring a wealth of knowledge and experience: Luis Fernandez, Allison Glass, Pablo Sanders, and Stacey Hunt-Spier.
2017 Board of Directors
- Steve Lauterbach, Chair
Lauterbach, Borschow & Company
- Allan Goldfarb, Vice-Chair
Kemp Smith, LLP
- Sandra Sanchez Almanzán
Fannie Mae, National Service Organization
- Allison Glass Gaddy
Veronica Escobar for Congress
- Leonard (Tripper) Goodman III
Goodman Financial Services
- Richard Moore
- Dr. Susana Navarro
- Dr. Jose Prieto
Partners in Pediatrics
- Luis Fernandez
- Pablo Sanders
Strategic Growth Bank
- Stacey Hunt Spier
Hunt Family Foundation
- Tracy J. Yellen